It's already becoming a busy place at the Riley household as we start the new year. Between setting up my son's new 3D printer...making some new ROM's...I've received a couple of new devices to review. The first being the Pipo X7 Windows 8.1 TV box...and this little jewel, the Pipo W4 Windows 8.1 tablet. I want to thank my friends at Geekbuying.com for their great service on my order.

Here's some specs:

ModelPIPO W4
CPUIntel Baytrail-T Z3735G Quad Core 1.83GHz
GPUIntel HD Graphics
SystemWindows 8.1
RAM1GB DDR3L
Capacity16GB
Screen8 inch IPS Capacitive Screen
Resolution1280*800
Extend CardSupport SD card
CameraFront is 0.3MP, Rear is 2.0MP
WIFI802.11b/g/n
Gravity
Sensor
Support
OTGSupport
BluetoothSupport
AudioMP3,WMA,WAV,OGG,FLAC,ALAC,APE,AAC,AC-3,DTS(need license)
PictureBMP,JPG,GIF,PNG
VideoMEPG 1/2/4,H.263/H.264,RMVB,WMV/VC-1,MVC,AVS,MJPEG.(Support 1080P)
LanguageMulti-language
MicrophoneBuilt-in
SpeakerBuilt-in
I/O Port1 x Micro USB port
1x mini HDMI Port
1 x TF Card slot
1 x 3.5mm Earphone port
Battery3.7V/4500mAh
Size209mm*122mm*10.2mm
Package
Included
1 x Tablet PC
1 x USB Cable
1 x Charger

The only difference I can tell between the W4 and W5 is that the W4 has 16gb internal memory...and the W5 has 32gb internal memory...so this review should be valid for both devices. I ordered a 16gb external SDcard with this tablet...so I now have a total of 32gb to play with.

Out of the box, I just turned it on...went through a bunch of Microsoft's setting screens and took off with an uneventful Windows 8.1 experience.

One thing I always do is install Classic Shell to bring back a more Window's 7 feel to the desktop, because I've never really been thrilled with the Metro desktop. Although, I may have to get used to it a little bit because this small screen is hard to navigate a Windows desktop with large fingers. A stylus might come in handy...if I can find one with a small enough tip...but the fingers work OK on the Metro screens.

My main ROM kitchen PC is a Windows 8.0 laptop that came with all of that stuff, too...but I quickly disabled the Metro stuff so at boot I can get right to work...so I never bothered to really learn the in's and out's of that part of Windows.

My son has a similar tablet...an Acer with Windows 8.1...so I plan to do some comparisons with it...my main laptop...and the Pipo X7 box that Pipo sent me to review.

Stay tuned to this thread for additions as I continue my testing.

BTW, if there's anything specific your are curious about that you would like me to try...just chime in on this thread and I will be happy to give it a shot.